Are you confused what particular Dewalt miter saw model to purchase? To be able to learn about the brand, read on and familiarize yourself with what Dewalt has to offer in as far as their power tools are concerned.
If you are a DIY guy or into wood working field, one must-have tool is a miter saw. Miter saws may come as a power tool or hand saw and they are vital tools in cutting straight perpendicular or angled wood cuts.
Brands/models are diverse but one of the most popular miter saw brands is the Dewalt miter saw collections. Learn why.
Dewalt Miter Double Bevel Saw Table Comparison
- My rating:
- 51lbs running at 4000 rpm
- 45 Degree Cut 8 W x 4 H
- Horizontal Crown Cut 10 3/4
- Vertical Crown Cut 6 1/4
- Horizontal Lying Flat 14"
- Max Cut: 2x12 (2x14 with fencing)
716 12 Inch Blade
- My rating:
- 44lbs running at 3800 rpm
- 45 Degree Cut 2x6 W x 4x6 H
- Horizontal Crown Cut 6 1/2
- Vertical Crown Cut 6 5/8
- Horizontal Lying Flat 10"
- Max Cut: 2x8 (2x10 with fencing)
780 12 Inch Blade
- My rating:
- 56lbs running at 3800 rpm
- 45 Degree Cut 4x8 W x 4x8 H
- Horizontal Crown Cut 13 3/4
- Vertical Crown Cut 7 1/2
- Horizontal Lying Flat 16"
- Max Cut: 2x14 (2x16 with fencing)
About Dewalt Power Tools
Dewalt has been around since 1936 and originally started by Raymond Dewalt, the creator of the radial arm saw. This makes the brand an expert in creating carpentry tools particularly saws. After several years, the company grew and went on to producing radial arm saws as well as other wood working machines.
Today, the company is a globally famous brand of power tools for the manufacturing, construction and wood working sectors manufacturing a full range of compact tools including the Dewalt miter saw line. Other power tool lines include lithium-ion cordless drills, nailers, grinders and hammers.
Dewalt has about 13 different miter saws in their line that address each and every user’s cutting requirements. Not surprisingly, they are all highly-rated by end users due to the brand’s reputation in producing durable and quality power tools. You have different options and perhaps you just have to learn each of their features to find which one will work for your particular needs.
Choosing the Right Dewalt Miter Saw for You
To be able to choose the right Dewalt miter saw for you, let’s have an overview of the basic types which may help you find what you really need.
Standard Miter Saw
This type has a permanent vertical axle with rotating cutting head allowing angled cuts while the blade stays in a fixed vertical position.
Compound Miter Saw (Single / Double Bevel)
This has a rotary vertical pivot which allows the blade and head to be slanted sideways for horizontal and vertical angled cuts. This type of miter saw comes in two varieties – single bevel which allows leaning the blade to one particular side and double bevel which has the ability to tilt on both sides. This is particularly useful for cutting elaborate angles such as in crown moldings.
Sliding Compound Miter Saw
It’s a type of compound miter saw with parallel sliding bars providing you the option to cut wider wood boards without moving the tool around.
Top Rated Dewalt Miter Saw Reviews 2017
You have learned the types, now you can choose which Dewalt miter saw is the right for your particular needs. Here are three different miter saw types from Dewalt including their features, pros and cons.
DEWALT DW717 10 Inch Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
This is perhaps the smallest in the miter saw series but delivers real power and toughness when it comes to its utility. It is powered by 15 amp motor with 4000 RPM. It weighs about 43 pounds and armed with a carbide blade and a blade wrench.
Relevant features include:
- Weight: 51lbs
- Blade Diameter is 10 inches
- Bevel 0 to 48 degrees
- 11 Stop postions
- Variable stainless steel detent plate with eleven + stops for worksite stability and accuracy
- Cuts 6 1/4” crown fixed vertically for better cutting ability in vertical position
- Cuts 14" with board laying down flat
- 60° left miter capacity and 52° right miter capacity offers miter cutting flexibility
- Its small size provides portability
- Great Vertical cutting with special cross-cut stop positions
- Lock handle to make it a miter table
- 48 degree to adjust bevel
- 12 inches of cross cut.
- It's one of the heavier models
- Not the best at collecting the dust
- Instructions are not detailed. So know what you are doing.
- Dust bag fills quickly
- Little room to change the blade
DEWALT DW716 12-Inch Double-Bevel
This particular model is popular 12” blade running at 15 amps with a speed of 3600 RPM motor that delivers enhanced durability and power. It has received wonderful reviews from consumers for its power, sturdiness, miter angles, dimensional capacities and adjustability. It comes with a great price which makes it a great quality buy.
Other features are the following:
- Works great for cutting framing and molding.
- Changeable detent plate and comes with 11 +stops for improved efficiency and guaranteed cutting precision
- Sliding fences are tall which provide up to 6 5/8” nested crown molding support and base molding to a maximum of 6 ½” vertically against the fence
- Belt-driven mechanism and gearbox enhances vertical cutting capability
- 4 toughened steel bevel stops on both sides provides flexibility
- Has a miter capacity of Zero to 50 Degrees going left to right.
- Easy to use
- Sturdy and reliable
- Easy to adjust cam lock miter handle
- Value for money
- Powerful with accurate cuts
- Cuts wood thick at 2" x 8" at 45 Degrees
- Can cut wood at 2" x 10" when at 90 degrees
- Is a little heave to carry around at 44lbs.
- Not easy to move around
What's In the package ? - It comes with the saw, a dust bag, wrench and cartbide blade. It also includes a 3 year warranty.
DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Equipped with a powerful motor, it comes with a 15-amp 3800 RPM motor that guarantees increased power and strength. It’s a double bevel sliding miter saw ideal for professionals and ensures longevity and accuracy required on the work site.
It can accurately perform pretty fragile woodworking to heavyweight deck building and framing. This product is great for framing, installing, trim carpentry and cabinet making requirements.
Other features include:
- Adjustable miter detent plate with 10 +stops for enhanced precision and productivity
- Built-in XPS cross-cut positioning mechanism offers adjustment-free cut line indication
- Back Fence design slices a maximum of 2 x 16 dimensional lumber at 90° and 2 x 12 at 45°
- Integrated with a dust collections system that collects more than 75% dust, whether coming from chop or slide cutting process
- Power cord is secured enough not to interfere with the slide
- Compact and portable
- Easy to use
- Soft start
- Cuts straight and square
- Cuts thick materials
- Rough and sticky slide
Dewalt miter saw line has a lot to offer. Not only does it offer you different options but it also provides you quality power tools that make your work simpler and easier. One of the main benefits of this model is the bevel stops make it easy to stop at 0, 33.9, 45 and 48 degree marks.