Are you still trying to decide what model of Dewalt miter saw to purchase? In this review we will look at the different types of miter saws and some of the models in hopes of helping you find the right one for your needs.
If you are a DIY guy or in the wood working field, the miter saw is a “must have”. Most miter saws are electric , 120 volts, but they still make the old style with a box made of wood and a hand saw.
Brands and models are extremely diverse on the market, but one of the most popular miter saw brands is the Dewalt miter saw collections. We will take a look at some of them and their features, pros, and cons.
Dewalt Double Bevel Miter Saw Table Comparison
- My rating:
- 51lbs running at 4000 rpm
- 45 Degree Cut 8 W x 4 H
- Horizontal Crown Cut 10 3/4
- Vertical Crown Cut 6 1/4
- Horizontal Lying Flat 14″
- Max Cut: 2×12 (2×14 with fencing)
DW716 12 Inch Blade
- My rating:
- 44lbs running at 3800 rpm
- 45 Degree Cut 2×6 W x 4×6 H
- Horizontal Crown Cut 6 1/2
- Vertical Crown Cut 6 5/8
- Horizontal Lying Flat 10″
- Max Cut: 2×8 (2×10 with fencing)
DWS780 12 Inch Blade
Top of Line
- My rating:
- 56lbs running at 3800 rpm
- 45 Degree Cut 4×8 W x 4×8 H
- Horizontal Crown Cut 13 3/4
- Vertical Crown Cut 7 1/2
- Horizontal Lying Flat 16″
- Max Cut: 2×14 (2×16 with fencing)
About Dewalt Power Tools
Dewalt has been around since 1936 and originally started by Raymond Dewalt, the creator of the radial arm saw. This makes the Dewalt brand an expert in creating carpentry tools, particularly saws. After several years, the company grew and went on to produce radial arm saws as well as other power tools.
Today, the company is a globally famous brand of power tools in the manufacturing, construction and wood working sectors. They manufacture a full range of compact tools including the Dewalt miter saw line. Other power tool lines include lithium-ion cordless drills, nailers, grinders and hammers.
Dewalt has about 13 different miter saws in their line that address each and every user’s cutting requirements. Not surprisingly, they are all highly-rated by users. The brand’s reputation in producing durable and quality power tools is top notch. You have many great options and after this review I am sure you will find a Dewalt Miter Saw that fits your every need.
Choosing the Right Dewalt Miter Saw for You
To be able to choose the right Dewalt miter saw for you, let’s look at an overview of the basic types which may help you find what you really need.
Standard Miter Saw
This type has a permanent vertical axle with rotating cutting head allowing angled cuts while the blade stays in a fixed vertical position.
Compound Miter Saw (Single / Double Bevel)
This has a rotary vertical pivot which allows the blade and head to be slanted sideways for horizontal and vertical angled cuts. This type of miter saw comes in two varieties – single bevel which allows leaning the blade to one particular side and double bevel which has the ability to tilt on both sides. This is particularly useful for cutting elaborate angles such as in crown moldings.
Sliding Compound Miter Saw
It’s a type of compound miter saw with parallel sliding bars providing you the option to cut wider wood boards without moving the tool around.
Top Rated Dewalt Miter Saw Reviews 2018
You have learned the types, now you can choose which Dewalt miter saw is the right for your particular needs. Let’s look at some Dewalt miter saw models from Dewalt including their features, pros and cons.
DEWALT DW717 10 Inch Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
This is perhaps the smallest in the miter saw series but delivers real power and toughness when it comes to its utility. It is powered by 15 amp motor with 4000 RPM. It weighs about 43 pounds and armed with a carbide blade and a blade wrench.
Relevant features include:
- Weight: 51lbs
- Blade Diameter is 10 inches
- Bevel 0 to 48 degrees
- 11 Stop postions
- Variable stainless steel detent plate with eleven + stops for worksite stability and accuracy
- Cuts 6 1/4” crown fixed vertically for better cutting ability in vertical position
- Cuts 14″ with board laying down flat
- 60° left miter capacity and 52° right miter capacity offers miter cutting flexibility
- Its small size provides portability
- Great Vertical cutting with special cross-cut stop positions
- Lock handle to make it a miter table
- 48 degree to adjust bevel
- 12 inches of cross cut.
- It’s one of the heavier models
- Not the best at collecting the dust
- Instructions are not detailed. So know what you are doing.
- Dust bag fills quickly
- Little room to change the blade
What’s in the package?
10″ double-bevel sliding compound miter saw, dust bag, blade and wrench
DEWALT DW716 12-Inch Double-Bevel
This particular model is popular 12” blade running at 15 amps with a speed of 3600 RPM motor that delivers enhanced durability and power. It has received wonderful reviews from consumers for its power, sturdiness, miter angles, dimensional capacities and adjustability. It comes with a great price which makes it a great quality buy.
Other features are the following:
- Works great for cutting framing and molding.
- Changeable detent plate and comes with 11 +stops for improved efficiency and guaranteed cutting precision
- Sliding fences are tall which provide up to 6 5/8” nested crown molding support and base molding to a maximum of 6 ½” vertically against the fence
- Belt-driven mechanism and gearbox enhances vertical cutting capability
- 4 toughened steel bevel stops on both sides provides flexibility
- Has a miter capacity of Zero to 50 Degrees going left to right.
- Easy to use
- Sturdy and reliable
- Easy to adjust cam lock miter handle
- Value for money
- Powerful with accurate cuts
- Cuts wood thick at 2″ x 8″ at 45 Degrees
- Can cut wood at 2″ x 10″ when at 90 degrees
- Is a little heave to carry around at 44lbs.
- Not easy to move around
What’s In the package ? – It comes with the saw, a dust bag, wrench and cartbide blade. It also includes a 3 year warranty.
This is a powerful compact miter saw with a 12″ inch carbide blade. Very uncomplicated to operate and you will enjoy the smoothness with which it operates. It gives you all the confidence you need to take on some big jobs that you thought you never could do.
The 15-amp 4000 rpm motor will make quick work of any job. You will spend much less time doing framing and moldings and even do it with a smile on your face.
Main Features of the DW715
- This is a single bevel compound miter saw
- Has a 12″ carbide blade
- 15 AMP no-load speed of 4,000 rpms
- Tall sliding fence for working with base and crown moldig
- The cam-lock miter handle gives accurate angle cuts
- Warranty Package is a three year limited
- Light-weight as it weights only 42 pounds
- Stainless steel detent plate has 11 positions
- Has a wide miter capacity which can go from-0 to 50 degrees both right and left
- Can cut crown molding up to 5 1/4 inches and base molding up to 6 1/2 inches
- So easy to use that it can increase your productivity
- Might not be big enough for some jobs
- Does not come with a stand
- Can not cut a 6 x 6 , unless you cut once, turn it over and cut again.
Miter saw, carbide blade, blade wrench, and dust bag.
This style of the miter saw is very light weight in design and has a built-in carry handle for transporting it. It has a 10″ blade so it is a bit smaller than most models. The motor has 15 amps and rpms of 5000, to give it durability and power.
It weighs in at 35 pounds so it would be easy to move it around from site to site. Just keep in mind that it will be able to handle lumber tht measures up tp 2 x 6 inches.
Main Features of the DW713
- This miter saw blade is 10 inches
- Will cut a 45-degree, bevel cut on lumber up to 2 x 6 inches
- Extremely easy to move around as it only weights 35 pounds
- This is a great miter saw for the ladies to learn on
- Miter capacity is -0 to 50 degrees to the right and left
- Features a handle that is built in so you can move it around with ease
- Can purchase a laser system to fit it for more accurate cuts
- Three year limited warranty, free one year service contract
- Offers a 15 amp motor and no-load speed of 5,000 rpms
- Carbide blade is the best for cutting crown molding and base boards
- Can only cut boards up to 2 x 6
- Use on smaller jobs only
Single Bevel compound miter saw, carbide blade, blade wrench and dust bag.
DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Equipped with a powerful motor, it comes with a 15-amp 3800 RPM motor that guarantees increased power and strength. It’s a double bevel sliding miter saw ideal for professionals and ensures longevity and accuracy required on the work site.
It can accurately perform pretty fragile woodworking to heavyweight deck building and framing. This product is great for framing, installing, trim carpentry and cabinet making requirements.
Other features include:
- Adjustable miter detent plate with 10 +stops for enhanced precision and productivity
- Built-in XPS cross-cut positioning mechanism offers adjustment-free cut line indication
- Back Fence design slices a maximum of 2 x 16 dimensional lumber at 90° and 2 x 12 at 45°
- Integrated with a dust collections system that collects more than 75% dust, whether coming from chop or slide cutting process
- Power cord is secured enough not to interfere with the slide
- Compact and portable
- Easy to use
- Soft start
- Cuts straight and square
- Cuts thick materials
- Rough and sticky slide
One miter saw, one blade, one dust bag, one blade wrench, one material clamp
This product is one of Dewalts best selling sliding compound miter saws. It has a 12″ cutting carbide cutting blade and with the provided wrench, you can change the blade in minutes.
For your safety, it has a dust collection system that will remove 75% of all the dust created by the saw, which is a really great feature. You will also get a 3 year warranty that is backed by the Dewalt Company.
Other Features of the DWS779
- The dual steel rail have a clamping mechanism to help make sure that your cut is accurate
- This saw has a compact design for durability
- Miters 60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left
- Can cut up to a 2 x 16 board at 90 degrees and 2 x 12 at a 45 degree angle
- Weighs in at 67 pounds so it will stay in a stable position
- Great back fence design cuts up to 2×16 at 90 degrees
- 15 amp 3800 rpm motor
- 3-year limited warranty
- 12″ blade for quick and safe cutting
- Great dust collection system
- Since it is so heavy, it is not real easy to move around on the jobsite.
Miter saw, carbide blade, blade wrench, and user guide
The DWS 709 sliding compound miter saw has a 12 ” carbide blade and is compact with a lightweight design. It is well suited for the professional carpenter and also a good fit for the Diy home carpenter.
It will provide you will all the power that you will need with its 15 amp, 3800 rpm motor. With all of its great safety features you will have hours of productivity .
- Stainless steel detent plate with 13 positions
- 15 amp motor with 3,800 rpm, very powerful
- Can cut crown moldings at 5 1/2 ” and base moldings up to 4 1/2 “
- Compact lightweight design
- Miters 60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left
- Enough power to get the job done and on time
- Great balance throughout the saw, very stable
- Oversized bevel scale
- Tall sliding fences for crown and base mold cutting
- Stainless steel detent plate, has 13 positions
- Material clamp isn’t very high quality
What’s in the Package?
12″ compound miter saw, dust bag, material clamp, carbide blade, blade wrench
The Dewalt miter saw line has a lot to offer. Not only does it offer you different styles and types, but it also provides you with a quality power tool that make your work simpler and easier.