Ryobi Vs Dewalt Power Tools - What's The Difference?
Ryobi Vs Dewalt
When looking for that perfect tool to complete your house-jobs there are literally various options to choose from. But as a buyer, you would always prefer to invest in something that is not only very efficient, reliable but also fits in your budget.
There are about half-dozen different brands that offer really capable and efficient set of tools for every single user. But there are a few brands that need proper attention and time to study, especially because of the reputation they have built for themselves within all these years.
Many of you might have heard about the Dewalt and Ryobi rivalry and as a buyer it becomes very difficult for you to pick one over the other. So here are a few note-worthy differences between both these brands, for you to have a better understanding of whom you would like to associate yourself with.
RYOBI Power Tools History
Ryobi tools is originally a Japanese manufacturer, the brand is popular in North America, New Zealand and Australia and is originally owned by Techtronic Industries of Hong Kong.
Most of the tools from Ryobi are primarily sold via Home Depot and the internet especially in America and Canada. I'm sure many of you own a cordless drill from one of these companies.
Ryobi Power Tools and Ryobi Outdoor Power Equipment are basically brands of Techtronic Industries, which was founded 1985 and is involved in the designing, manufacturing, and marketing of construction tools, outdoor power equipment, hand tools, layout and measuring tools, accessories, floor-care and appliances.
The Techtronic Industries, brand portfolio also includes various other big names such as Milwaukee, Homelite, AEG, Empire, Hart, Vax, Dirt Devil, etc.
Dewalt Company History
The existence of Dewalt can be traced back to 1922, when Raymond Dewalt perfected the very first woodworking machine as a superintendent of Seabrook Farms. Mr. Raymond eventually formed the Dewalt Products company in 1924 with a plant and office in Pennsylvania.
Since then Dewalt is known to build some of the strongest and sturdiest equipment’s available in the market. With a tag line, “Guaranteed Tough” Dewalt ensures their customers have absolute confidence in their products to work in some of the toughest jobsite conditions.
Their current product line includes various types of miter saws, cordless drills, impact drivers, nailers, sanders, hammer drill, axes and various other tools and equipment.
Which Brand Gives You The Best Bang For The Buck – Ryobi Or Dewalt?
Ryobi obviously is new company when you compare it with Dewalt and has less experience in building professional tools. But even then, the company has built-up a good reputation for itself and its products, especially in terms of the reliability and price range of its products.
Dewalt on the other hand is a very old company which is also very well known for developing high quality tools for national defence and related wartime machinery. The company since its beginning has gone through various changes in terms of management and ownership. But 1955, was the year when Dewalt, introduced its very first electric power tools and accessories specifically for residential contractors, and other professional woodworkers.
There are many similarities and various differences also when comparing various tools that both these companies produce, which makes it hard for anyone to make an unbiased decision. But there are a few parameters that differentiate between the two very clearly. So here are some facts based on which you can easily make your decision and buy a product from the best brand according to your requirement.
Technology – Dewalt Vs Ryobi
Keeping up with time and use of innovative approaches in your product line to satisfy changing needs and demands of your consumers is what keeps you a step ahead of your competitors. And this is an area where Dewalt is definitely ahead of Ryobi.
Dewalt utilizes the brushless motor technology in almost all of its products. The technology is great to increase performance, efficiency and power especially when compared to other brushed motor models.
The brushless motor technology also increases the life and ensures the durability of products from Dewalt. But one thing to remember is that any great technology will definitely come with a huge price tag, hence brushless tools are often more expensive.
Warranty – Dewalt vs Ryobi
Warranty of a product is one of the major considerations to look for when buying a power tool. No matter what the price of the tool is, having something to back it up acts as a good guarantee with respect to its quality.
For many people, the higher price tag of Dewalt products enables them to think that, they are backed by a better warranty. But that is not the case, as both the brands offer similar industry standard 3-year limited warranty on almost all the tools they manufacture.
Price – Dewalt vs Ryobi
As already discussed, Dewalt uses high-end brushless motor technology in all of its products and hence is anyway more expensive than construction tools from Ryobi.
But for a budget buyer or as a beginner who is just beginning to explore his/her DIY potential then getting your hands onto something that is strong, durable and offers great output that too in half the price, Ryobi is something to look for.
Which brand gives you the best bang for the buck?
Both the brands are very popular and fall in the category of some of the most respected power tool brands in the market. Both of them make some of the most high-quality tools that are simple to use and highly efficient to work with.
Dewalt, is a brand that is trusted and highly recommended by professional users. Most of its products come with two batteries, a service contract, generous warranty and a money back guarantee.
Whereas, Ryobi offers you a more affordable range of products both in terms of power and performance. However, the products from Ryobi, include only one battery and have no service contract or any money back guarantee attached.
RYOBI P1814 18-Volt Cordless Drill & Driver Kit
The Ryobi P1814 18-Volt ONE+ Cordless Drill kit is one of the most compact yet powerful kit, that weighs about 2.7 lbs only. The compact lithium-ion batteries that come with the ONE+ provide you 20% more run time and can hold charge 4 times longer compared to other batteries.
The dual-chemistry charger supplies this tool with enough power in about just an hour. An indicator light on the charger will also show you the status of batteries and their maintenance.
- Cordless Drill & Impact Driver 2 in 1 tool
- Dual Chemistry Charger
- 1 – 4.0Ah 18v cordless battery
- Tool bag
- Operator’s manual
- Weight – 6.6 pounds
- 1 lithium-ion battery included
- Material – metal
- 18v cordless battery
- GripZone over-mould handle to aid grip, comfort and command
- 24 torque options to choose from
- Variable speed trigger
- Two speed settings – 0-400 or 0-1600 RPM
- Includes Bare-Tool
- Warranty – 3years
- Ryobi 18v cordless Battery compatible with other Ryobi tools
- Quick and fast
- Compact design
- Easy to use
- Various convenience features compared to other drills in this price range
Dewalt Cordless DCD777C2 20V Brushless Compact Drill Driver
The Dewalt cordless DCD777C2 is one of the most powerful yet compact brushless motor drive Drill/Driver that you might find in the market. The product just weighs about 2.6 lbs and its ergonomic designs makes it an ideal companion even while on road.
The unit comes with 500 RPM and 1750 RPM and if you want you can also use it with variable trigger for much control. This compact drill is packed with immense power that can easily match some of the heavier or larger drills from Dewalt. In my opinion this could be the best cordless drill out there!
- 1 – DCD777C2 Compact Brushless Drill
- 2 – Lithium-ion batteries
- 1 – charger
- 1 – kit bag
- Plastic ratcheting chuck type
- Dewalt 20v lithium-ion battery
- 15 clutch settings
- Powerful torque of 500 in-lbs
- Brushless motor – longer lifespan, longer runtime and less battery charging
- No load speed – 0-1 / 750 RPM
- Weight – 2.6 lbs
- Warranty – 3 year limited
- Easy to use, light and compact in size
- 2 lithium ion batteries greatly reduce the downtime
- Built-in LED with a 20-second trigger
- Variable speed feature
- Plastic chuck (most of the tools have metal chuck)
- Cannot function as a hammer drill
Ryobi P884 18-Volt Combo Kit (6-Tools)
The Ryobi P884 is one of the most compact and flexible piece of equipment which can be used with any machine from the ONE+ product line.
- 1 – Ryobi Cordless Drill
- 1 – Impact Driver
- 1 – Circular Saw
- 1 – Reciprocating Saw
- JobPlus Base with multi-tool attachment
- 18V Dual-Chemistry charger
- Ryobi 18v Batteries
- Ryobi Cordless Drill/driver is equipped with Dewalt brushless motor – 57% more runtime; 3-mode LED lights
- Impact driver also comes with Dewalt brushless motor with 3 speed settings
- Circular saw is capable of complete 330 crosscuts in 2x4 (pine)
- Oscillating multi-tool comes with a quick-change accessory system
- Reciprocating saw comes with a variable speed trigger – 0-2900 RPM
- Work-light can provide an output of 110 lumens
- 3 year limited warranty
- Reciprocating saw with a variable speed trigger is a definite advantage
- The quick-change system, enables you to change accessories at a fast pace without any wrenches
- 7 ¼” blade of the circular saw gives about 9/16” cutting capacity at 90°
- No use of flashlight
- The equipment is very easy to be used by left-hander and right-hander might find it a bit difficult to handle
Dewalt 20V MAX XR Brushless Combo Kit 6 Tools
This is a great buy for anyone who just wants to pull the trigger and have every Dewalt power tool you will need on the job! This is a combo kit that you can take to any job and have everything you need!
- 1 – Dewalt Cordless DCD791 XR ½” drill and drill driver combo
- 1 – DCF887 XR ¼” impact driver
- 1 – DCS570 XR 7 ¼” circular saw
- 1 – DCS355 XR oscillating multi-tool
- 1 – DCS367 20V MAX XR reciprocating saw
- 1 – DCL040 20V MAX LED Work-light
- 2 – DCB203 20V MAX XR 2.0Ah compact battery packs
- 1 – DCB112 12-20V MAX battery charger
- 1 – contractor bag
- 30-minutes battery recharge time
- Drill with 2 speed settings – 0-440 RPM / 0-1600 RPM; variable with a spring load trigger;
- Reciprocating Saw – tool-free blade change
- Weight of the Drill – 2.7 lbs
- Weight of the circular saw – 4.7 lbs
- Weight of the impact driver – 2.65 lbs
- Weight of the reciprocating saw – 4.1 lbs
- Weight of the JobPlus base – 2.15 lbs
- Weight of Work light – 0.7 lbs
- Loads of tools in one kit
- Offers great value
- Good quality especially in terms of its price range
- Dewalt 20v batteries
- Comes with battery charger
- Light is not LED
Conclusions: Ryobi VS Dewalt Construction Power Tools
So, at the end, it is not wrong to say that if you are looking for a professional power tool with loads of features and capabilities, nothing can beat anything from Dewalt. But there is absolutely no problem in buying something that comes in about half the price of Dewalt and works as efficiently as most of their products.
For any average project, products from Ryobi can absolutely deliver in terms of quality, durability and even performance. Hence, any budget buyer should prefer to find his much need power tool from Ryobi, without any hesitation. Their product range is huge and every single buyer can find something for themselves with ease.
Whereas, Dewalt is considered as a professional brand for tools and those who are looking for a bit more or desire for something extra from their mean machines should opt for something from Dewalt.
Both the brands will deliver on your needs and requirements with their own capabilities and efficiency, in the end your decision will rest on your budget, your power requirements and the actual job you want to perform with the machine.